Sunday, December 17, 2006

Make Things Users Want!

I have been thinking about this for a while now. How do I maximize the value I can provide to this world? By creating things people want! This is obvious, but then it has been my experience that most true things are. What do people want? Well, I have heard rumor of a bumper sticker saying: "death before inconvenience". This seems to ring a bell somewhere.. Why? Because I love convenience. What makes something convenient? Often it involves cutting out the stupid work that doesn't really serve any point. Many times its having some-one or some-thing do what I would normally have to.

Some examples..

Experts: I hire them to do things (like my taxes, or repairing my cars) because it is more convenient than becoming an expert myself.

Automation: Take the repetitive details and make a mechanical or computer device responsible. They get done faster and better, and I don't have to do anything. Now thats convenient!

Philosophy/Religion: Way more convenient to have someone else tell you what to think as long as its agreeable. (or: much easier to read the many great ideas of humanity than come up with them yourself)

I guess in the end, I am a user and I want convenience!